Monday, 5 September 2016

Book Review

The Rules of Backyard Cricket

My latest book review in SHOTS Magazine is of Jock Serong's 'The Rules of Backyard Cricket'.

Don't be put off by the title; you don't have to understand the rules of this game to enjoy this book. (If you're a baseball fan, think baseball - it's a similar theme).


You can read the full review by clicking on the Shots link above.

As I mention in the review, although being English, I've never been a cricket fan, so approached the book with mixed feelings. Was it going to be a ball-by-ball replay, full of arcane rules and insider terminology I wouldn't - or couldn't be bothered to - understand? There was only one way to find out, so I piled in.

And I'm glad I did. As I indicated above, you don't have to know the game, because this is essentially about two boys growing up in Melbourne, Australia, and on reaching adulthood, achieving the highest levels of their national sport. (For any other country, insert your national or favoured sport and you'll be fine).

Jock Serong won the Ned Kelly Award for his book 'Quota', and his latest work explains why. He writes about tension, passion, corruption and sibling rivalry, set against the sleazy side of international competition, and brings off a thoroughly good read in the process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment