Sunday, 13 July 2014

Latest articles in Writing Magazine

August issue.

The months are getting shorter, I swear. My mother warned me about this, but I didn't believe her.

Anyway, my latest 'Beginners' piece in Writing Magazine is called 'Give Yourself a Break', and focusses on NOT trying to think about or write an entire book in one go. This might seem like
common sense, but many writers get too involved in thinking about the project in its entirety, which is like climbing Everest and the Matterhorn in one day or, as I liken it in the article, to eating a chocolate bar in one sitting.

Thinking about putting down 90,000+ words is not for the faint-hearted, and will invariably swamp your thoughts and put you off - so much so, that you might consider giving up before you've begun.

Better, therefore, to approach it in chunks; be it paragraphs, sections or chapters. Believe me, the words soon add up. That way you'll get to enjoy it more. A bit like tackling a chocolate bar. Geddit?

This month's New Author is BK Duncan, whose debut novel, 'Foul Trade', all about 1920s London and a female coroner's investigation into a murder, has just hit the shelves and the e-waves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment